Laptop wireless problems

eddshrinker 17:41 16 Apr 2007

I am having trouble connecting my laptop to a home wireless network which would connect to the internet. I can get onto the network from my desktop PC, but have recently bought a Compaq Presario with Windows Vista. The wireless card is switched on as it can see various wireless networks, including the one I wish to connect to.

However, when I attempt to connect to it, it says it cannot connect for an unknown reason. The troubleshooter etc will also not fix the problem. It does not even ask for the network key password.

The router used is a Belkin f5d7632-4, though I should not think this is the problem if I can see the network?

Thanks for any advice.

Ashrich 18:23 16 Apr 2007

First of all try updating the drivers for your wireless adapter and temporarily turn off all security on the router , including MAC filtering and try connecting again . I you can then connect it was obviously something blocking the laptop access , if it doesn't work try resetting the router back to factory condition ( while plugged into the mains push something small and pointed into the small recess on the back for about 25 seconds , I use the inside of a biro ) Re-enter your details to connect to the internet then try connecting again .

Ashley

eddshrinker 20:19 16 Apr 2007

Thanks for the help. I am not sure how to turn all the security off, nor where to find MAC filtering. I have also tried the laptop in a friend's house and successfully connected to his network/internet there, so am I right to assume the drivers are up to date?

Resetting the router also did not help.

Ashrich 18:19 17 Apr 2007

Access the router set up page , it will be in the manual as to which IP address to enter into your browser , I think it should be 192.168.2.1 , and try turning off the WPA or WEP encryption , temporarily of course , to see if it makes any difference to the laptop's connection , do you get any joy if you connect direct via Ethernet ? .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone