Laptop Wireless Problem, please help!

mockney 20:01 06 Sep 2008

Hello, I recently changed service provider from BT Broadband to Talk Talk and installed the software that was provided with the box, however, now the wireless connection is made and then less then 5 mins later it disconnects so I am having to use the cable instead. Any advice you could give would help, my computer is a HP Easynote E4715 and the wireless modem is an internal Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG. If you can't already tell I'm a bit of a novice at this! So please dumb down all answers to a suitably chimp like level.

Cheers,

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 06 Sep 2008

Control panel - system - device manager - right click the wireless card - properties - power management - untick "Allow the computer t switch off..."

ambra4 20:42 06 Sep 2008

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

mockney 21:00 06 Sep 2008

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately neither of these have worked.

Fruit Bat - I get as far as the 'power management' part but then there is no tick box for 'allow the computer to switch off power'. I'm sure this is the route to be going down because it's as if it just switches itself off after a while

Ashrich 22:25 06 Sep 2008

You could try reloading the latest drivers for your card click here ( second down , very latest ) and when they are loaded go back in to the properties ( advanced ) and select something like CAM ( constant awake mode ) then under " Power management " untick the box that says " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " .

Do you see any very strong networks near you when you scan for your own network , you may find a high power one is swamping your signal , try changing channels in the router .

Ashley

Chas49 23:49 06 Sep 2008

I had a similar problem with my wireless connection. It defied everything I did, on the face of it there shouldn't have been a problem at all. Eventually, when looking for possible connections I saw this fresh entry and reaalised that a neighbour had gone wifi. Looking through the threads on this forum I came across a reference to channels. Could he be on the same channel as me, ie:- 1 and perhaps interfering with my wifi - and I his? I changed mine to 9 and then everything was rosy again. I'm not saying that this is your problem but when you are looking for a fault which suddenly happens and it cuts in and out for no apparent reason then it's worth looking into.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie