laptop wireless

ripendigging 20:28 25 Dec 2008

I have a new Dell Vostro 1000 that I am trying to configure to my wireless router but without success.Should the laptop find the router without any configuration/.

tullie 20:49 25 Dec 2008

Connect the laptop wired first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 25 Dec 2008

Should the laptop find the router without any configuration/.

First make sure the wireless is switched on, usually by using the Fn key and one of the F keys with a wireless symbol.

Then double click the wireless connection in the task bar and select your wireless connection

you should then be ask for the security key your router is using, input the key and you should then be able to connect to the internet.

ripendigging 10:54 26 Dec 2008

I have tried it wired and it works perfectly,but it will not work wireless.tried pressing the fn f2wireless icon button,but there is nothing appearing in the task bar?.

woodchip 11:00 26 Dec 2008

Sometimes when you connect the laptop you just have to put wireless Encryption key in. But you also need to have the Wireless turned on, on the laptop There may be a button to do this but you may need to use the fn plus one of the other keys to turn it on. Check the manual

chub_tor 11:02 26 Dec 2008

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says you need to get to the stage where you are asked for th security key. You can get to the Network and Sharing Centre via Control Panel and then click on Connect to a Network

ambra4 15:38 26 Dec 2008

Check the following

The switch that turn on the “Wireless Card Antenna” do not always enable the wireless card

Make sure that the wireless card is Enable

Setting - Double Click Network Connections

Right Click – Wireless Area Connection - Properties – Check that “Show Icon in notification

Area” is selected

If Wireless Area Connection is already Enable - Disable and re Enable

Some times you have to Disable and Enable the wireless card before the card will connect to the

wireless router

The wireless icon should now be showing in the task bar right click on icon and click “View

Available Wireless Network”

Wireless System will now scan and show all wireless networks available around the area

Highlight the one, which matches your router’s SSID network name and click the Connect

button at the bottom

If requested a security password /code copy and paste the same code that you entered into the

router and have save on a flash drive

If no security password / code is installed on router you should connect to the router and have

Internet access

There is also no need to keep turning off the Wireless Antenna to disconnect from the wireless

System, Right Click on the wireless icon in the task bar and click Disable

To restart the wireless system – Setting – Network Connection – Right click on the Wireless

Network Connection and click Enable

ambra4 15:41 26 Dec 2008

Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack.

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in all computers both on the Lan

card and wireless card, as it can cause connectivity problem on your network

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

ripendigging 12:02 02 Jan 2009

Thankyou everyone for your help.I tried every thing you told me with no success.I bought a USB Wireless adaptor wi-fi dongle and it works perfectly using this,but this is a brand new laptop and I understood a wi-fi connection would be fitted as standard.?

Pineman100 16:33 02 Jan 2009

I've had a look at the Dell Vostro 1000 on a couple of websites - the spec always seems to include a wireless card on the 802.11b/g protocol.

If it's a new computer, I reckon you should be getting support with your problem from Dell, rather than having to spend more money on an un-necessary USB wireless adaptor.

This is probably a superfluous question (because it's been asked several times already), but you have definitely switched on the computer's wi-fi switch, haven't you? If you have, then a little wi-fi light should probably be showing.

Pineman100 16:35 02 Jan 2009

If you can't get the wi-fi light (if there is one) to come on, then you definitely need to talk to Dell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?