laptop will not start

Veitcy 15:13 12 Feb 2010

I tried to format the hard drive in my Dell 510 and re install windows xp. I reset the bios to dvd drive put in the disk but it still started as normal then opened the dvd so I continued on but it was not letting me format so I pressed escape. Now all I get is message saying press f1 to to retry I can alter the bios order (Have tried all orders) but get no further and it does not read the DVD
Any ideas? Thanks

ame 15:23 12 Feb 2010

click here might help. Look at Step 4 - press f12 to boot from cd during startup. Leave disk in the dvd drive then shut down and restart, pressing f12 on and off continuously.

woodchip 16:27 12 Feb 2010

if you tap F8 as its starting it may give the option to start from DVD, check the list that pops up

baldydave 17:09 12 Feb 2010

The XP CD needs to be a hologram/shiny cd.
If you are using a restore disk this probaly wont boot.
Most dell pcs come with an image on the hard drive
Looks like its CTRL+F11 at the Dell Logo to start recovery.

ame 19:04 12 Feb 2010

Is this not about an old Dell 510 laptop that would have come with a full XP cd? You need to confirm model/age and supplier/status of cd.

Veitcy 20:16 15 Feb 2010

I have now resolved problem thanks for replies. For some reason all drives had been disabled when I descovered this was able to put it right.
However the disc for xp I have does not give option to reformat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?