Laptop will not power on

dobber 1 22:51 10 Feb 2009

I bought a second hand IBM Thinkpad 600E a number of years ago, and used it sparingly. I since bought a PC and used this exclusively. Just recently I decided to reserect it and use it again. Initially it fired up and I used it for about 30mins. Then everthing went dead, I thought it may have been the battery, so this was replaced, as was the power supply (both pukka replacements). Still no joy, could anything else be at fault? When I plug in the power supply via the mains, the green light lights up, and when I plug the other end into the Thinkpad, the green light flickers and goes out.
Any ideas?

Forum Editor 23:14 10 Feb 2009

with the battery removed?

dobber 1 11:23 11 Feb 2009

No I can't.

Taff™ 12:30 11 Feb 2009

This is worth a try: Remove battery and power lead then press and hold the power on button for 30 seconds to a minute. As FE suggests, try booting with just the power lead and no battery.

dobber 1 12:54 11 Feb 2009

Tried Taff's suggestion, but to no avail. When I tried FE's suggestion, the green light on the power supply unit flickers red when the power on switch on the laptop is held on.

Demora 09:11 12 Feb 2009

Could be the socket on the motherboard for the charger.

I have an old thinkpad (380) This had spent 3 years in the conservatory, No heating, no blinds etc. I decided to charge it up and had the same problem. The soldering joints had gone.

I also had to buy a new battery for the CMOS. I got my daughters boyfriend to fix the socket and I installed CMOS battery. Works fine now.

D

Strawballs 22:28 12 Feb 2009

Socket connections to motherboard is a common problem for laptops I have a 4yr old HP pavillion which had a 3yr warranty and in those 3yrs it had 3 new motherboards on the warranty and it has just gone again.

dobber 1 15:07 13 Feb 2009

Hi Demora, I changed the CMOS battery, but still no joy. Thanks for your imput though.

Demora 16:42 16 Feb 2009

If you can try another power supply box on the laptop this might rule out a fault with the power cable etc.

I would then get someone to look at the socket that you plug the mains into.

This can be repaired. (had it done on 2 laptops now)

It just may end all your problems.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?