Laptop will not identify network

cliff100 11:55 09 May 2010

When my wife starts her Laptop if it connects to our wifi network everything is fine. But most of the time it will connect and have on the screen unindefied public network. The network it can not identify is the same one but she will then only get local connection. If it sees this as public is this why it will only allow local access ?

I have set her laptop up to automatically get IP address. I have MAC filtering on the router and hers is on the list? She is running XP, Can someone explain what I need to do to make sure it connects to our network.
Hope someone can help Cliff

mgmcc 17:15 09 May 2010

The scenario you describe with "public networks" and "local access only" doesn't sound like XP, it sounds more like Vista.

Is the Laptop definitely running XP?

cliff100 21:12 10 May 2010

It is XP but now she has a PXE-E61 media test failure. So the network problem is the least of my worries. Unless someone can help me on the other problem first.

Cheers

Ashrich 23:06 10 May 2010

Plenty info , click here , could be a few different things

Ashley

kristain 07:43 11 May 2010

Try this once:

Clear your DNS cache,

Click on start
click on run
In the box/"open field", enter cmd.exe
enter ipconfig /flushdns press 'enter'

john810 06:59 12 May 2010
  larryp7639 10:32 15 May 2010

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

cliff100 14:06 15 May 2010

thanks for all the advice I am unable to check the DNs Cache as I can not get that far to log into windows. But i will try teh other things.

Cliff

proudfoot 14:17 15 May 2010

I had this problem with my wife's laptop it could not connect to our router although my PC was connecting OK in the same room.
The simple answer was to change the wireless channel on the router and the two computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?