Laptop will not detect wireless signal

Clapton is God 12:22 11 Jul 2008

My elder daughter has just moved into a new flat with friends which has a wireless network.

Her Dell Inspiron 510m does have (or at least did have) wireless drivers but it cannot detect any wireless signals.

Unfortunately, that's all the information I have!

What may be the solution?

Reinstall the wireless drivers or buy some sort of wireless dongle?

Simple step by step instructions would be appreciated - and please remember that the lappie in question is about 70 miles away from me! ;-))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:28 11 Jul 2008

First check the wireless card is switched on.
a small switch somewhere or a key combintion depending on make of laptop.

chub_tor 12:29 11 Jul 2008

Silly question but has she switched the wireless off by mistake? Most laptops have a switch on the front so that you can turn off the wireless signal - it's partly an FAA regulation so that you can use a laptop when flying. The switch on my Toshiba and my daughter's HP is at the front - just a little slide switch - but also has an orange LED to one side to show that it is switched on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:30 11 Jul 2008

try f2 (fn f2) for a dell

if a car is fitted any problems in device manager

start, run, devmgmt.msc

does anything show up, or any yellow question marks?

kalignorgna 12:41 11 Jul 2008

no need for a wireless dongle the laptop in queston does indeed have a wireless lan card inside. might be a simple case of the wireless being truned off tell your daughter to look for the Fn key and the key with the wireless symbol on it (satalite or what looks like a signel bar) also tell her to refresh her network as it may not dedect the wireless network in the vasinity until this has been done. if the wireless network is a free local one the she should ask the person in charge to set up her laptop to detect it properley as they might use a on site/council proxy to conect to the internet this is all the help i can offer without more info I'm affraid

Clapton is God 12:43 11 Jul 2008

Thanks for your fast responses.

Just called daughter and the wireless was switched off, but using Fn + F2 switched it back on - however, it still won't detect.

I cannot check in Device Manger - remember the lappie's 70 miles away from me and I'm reluctant to talk Miss Clapton is God through it over the phone!

Daughter is bringing it home on Sunday so any further suggestions, please?

kalignorgna 12:46 11 Jul 2008

the DELL INSPIRON 510M does not have a network card bythe look of it, whatlaptop give this info
PROCESSOR: INTEL PENTIUM M 1.7GHZ
MEMORY: 512MB DDR SDRAM
HARD DRIVE: HITACHI 60GB
SCREEN SIZE AND TYPE: 15-INCH TFT
DISPLAY RESOLUTION: 1400 X 1050 PIXELS
GRAPHICS CARD: INTEL 855GM
DIMENSIONS: 333 X 274 X 42mm
WEIGHT: 2.8KG
PC CARDS (TYPE II/III): 1/0
WIRELESS LAN: 802.11A/G
ETHERNET: YES
MODEM: YES
USB PORTS: 2 USB 2.0
FIREWIRE: 1
so i think its the small hardware card attachement that goes onto the motherboard. not a PCMCIA

Clapton is God 12:52 11 Jul 2008

The laptop HAS detected wireless signals in the distant past without problem.

The fact that it can't or won't detect now is a recent problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 11 Jul 2008

start, run, type devmgmt.msc press ok

puts her into device manager
just click on the + to expand the items any errors will show with a red (disabled) or yellow (problem).

kalignorgna 13:57 11 Jul 2008

so i gather however a lot of wireless networks are set up to work with certan computers hence the use of the proxy, because of this fact its worth getteng your daughter to ask who ever set it up also anyone thats into IT will put a password onto their wireless network to stop people from gaing access that souldn't have access to it in the first place so she might need to get a network key anyway to get it working. on a side note the person who set up the wireless network will know what he/she is doing so allways consolt them first if proplems arise.

kalignorgna 14:00 11 Jul 2008

Clapton is God means that he/she can't because the laptop is 70 miles away

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone