Laptop will not boot - autochk.exe file not found

meddyuk 12:24 20 Nov 2010

Hi team,

I wondered if you could help me. I was happily downloading some files and then the laptop turned itself off. I went to reboot and it came up with a blue screen and an error which state

"autochk.exe file cannot be found or is corrup, skipping autochk."

Now i've investigated the problem for hours and have tried most stuff, but still it wont work. I haven't got the original windows xp disc, i've only got the recovery disc.

Now i've booted up in safe mode and then selected recovery console.

I've managed to located the autochk.exe file which is indeed located in c:\windows\system32.

There was something mentioned on another site to rename this file as autochk.exe.bak and reboot - this doesn't work

I went on YouTube and followed instructions to restore from the command prompt by typing

C:\system~1\restore~1 or something along those lines, anyway that doesnt work.

I've managed to located the restore folder which is located in C:\windows|system\Restore in there there is the file rstrui.exe, but i noticed that there are no restore points.

Has anyone got any other ideas on how to get my laptop up and running again? I'm off abroad in 2 weeks and need the laptop for then.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your assistance

Sea Urchin 12:52 20 Nov 2010

Try downloading and applying this Microsoft Hotfix - this installs an updated autochk.exe

Download from the top of the page where it says Hotfix Download Available.

click here

meddyuk 13:00 20 Nov 2010

Sorry forgot to mention that the laptop does not boot up fully, it just keeps rebooting. So i wouldnt be able to download anything.

BTW, my laptop has Windows XP SP3.

Sea Urchin 15:44 20 Nov 2010

Can you start up in Safe Mode with Networking? If so you should be able to download the Hotfix

meddyuk 18:27 20 Nov 2010

Sea Urchin, thanks for that, i got a bit excited then thinking, wow its something that ive not tried.

I tried it, and it ran through the usual script before trying to boot up, but it didnt even get as far as the windows xp boot up screen. It just went black and looped again.

I tried safe mode with command prompt but this don't work either.

I'm at a real loss i tell you. If only i could restore it, but like i say before there are no restore points.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 20 Nov 2010

Got an I386 folder on your hard drive?

there is an Autochk.exe file in there

Boot to safemode and copy Autochk.exe from i386 to c:\windows\system32

if it asks to overwrite say yes.

meddyuk 12:37 21 Nov 2010

Fruit bat tried that and its still does the same thing.....loops on boot up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?