laptop will no longer load up windows xp

themaestro 17:13 22 Apr 2009

When I turn on my laptop it shows the windows xp sign as normal but then fails to go to the log in screen. It just shows a blank screen,
Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and how I could fix it?

I am able to get on using the safe mode. I have run a virus scan and done a diagnostic check but found nothing, I have preformed a system restore but this has not sorted the problem either.

I am willing to reset everything to original settings (if possible) as a last resort but not sure how to do that

My laptop is a dell inspiron 1300.
Any help would be most appeciated.

Pineman100 18:59 22 Apr 2009

Have you tried "Last known good configuration"?

Restart the machine and tap away at F8, just as (I presume) you did to get into Safe Mode. When you get into the startup options menu, instead of Safe Mode, choose Last known good configuration.

That might work.

woodchip 19:31 22 Apr 2009

In Safe Mode Do a Restore to older date.

Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. You can only restore Dates in Bold Type

kidsis 20:23 22 Apr 2009

Do you have the xp cd? If so perhaps a repair install would work.

Strawballs 22:23 22 Apr 2009

If you have the XP disc put it in the drive go to run and type CHKDSK /r (through safe mode) and it will tell you that it will have to do it after next restart let it restart and run through and if it finds anything it will fix it from disc. (it could take a long time be patient)

lotvic 23:51 22 Apr 2009

Download the Owners Manual from click here
look under 'Solving Problems' and last in the list is 'Restoring your Operating System'

alexartox 06:04 01 May 2009

You may want to use some backup software for your system, such as Acronis True Image. You can instantly recover your PC in 10 minutes, I use it a lot!

GavinDavies101 02:31 03 May 2009

Problem started when I played a game, screen would freeze and then image would distort. Random lines and flashing characters. Then no image at all, not even on an external display even though the laptop was on. Thanks to this forum I took my laptop to Technomart in Harrow and had the video fault fixed in 2 days. Been a year and still going strong. Dont want to buy a new laptop when this suites me perfectly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:48 03 May 2009

In safe mode:

Start - run - type

sfc /scannow

press OK

let windows file checker run and replace any corrupt or missing system files, it may ask for the CD if you have one insert it in the drive if not then post back here for further instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?