laptop wifi help

shauny36 11:19 25 Mar 2007

am pretty new to laptops and was wondering if i can connect to the internet wirelessly WITHOUT a usb connector.
my son has got a psp and can pick the internet up so can the laptop do this aswell.

it is a advent 7016 with wifi

Technotiger 11:37 25 Mar 2007

Hi, Yes, your laptop should be able to connect to the internet, as long as you are within range of a wifi hotspot or you have a pc with router among your own setup.

skidzy 11:42 25 Mar 2007

Quickest and probably the easiest method:

On the host pc connected to your router,goto control panel and select Wireless setup wizard and add the laptop to your network using a flash drive.

Make sure the laptops wireless card is on (normally FN+F2)

Also make sure the WEP/WPA security encrypted code is set on all machines.

squillary 14:56 25 Mar 2007

Being a bit of a dunce with laptops, networks and wireless I called a BT helpline to set up a wireless router with a laptop with wifi card installed last week. Lots of problems with the laptop (it's a bit old) but allowing remote assistance to a very nice guy somewhere in India we got it set up.

However, the phone call did take a total of 140 minutes on a landline to sort out. I followed what the guy did on screen and he was quite efficient in checking everything from start to finish. If you have the time\patience that's a hecovalot cheaper than getting someone in to do it for you.

I must learn how to do this myself. I don't own a laptop myself but I'm sure wifi would be an advantage to me too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 25 Mar 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?