laptop wifi/ ethernet connection

nobbyhigo 12:21 15 Oct 2009

hi
my daughter has bought a HP510 laptop it connects and has good strength of signal . However it only partially loads 2 bars on the bottom This is also the case if you hard wire connect it I have exactly the same model and it runs fine on both etherenet and picking up and loading wifi. Could you tell me what to check please
thanks charles

woodchip 12:29 15 Oct 2009

Right, You have the same Laptop I have. its a Centrino CPU i speeded my download speed to nearly double what it was, as it was half the speed of my desktop on a Ethernet cable, laptop is Wireless. I used this click here

woodchip 13:43 15 Oct 2009

If you get the problem I had with Laptop Disconnecting from the net when on Battery, give me a shout

nobbyhigo 13:48 15 Oct 2009

appreciate your tip on using the optimiser program
Thing is i cant download anything on my daughters laptop it just connects then loads slightly then nothing, on mains power

woodchip 14:11 15 Oct 2009

Go to Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager\Network Adapters\Right click on Wireless Connection\Advanced you will see a box with Ad Hoc Channel at the top go down the list to power management and set it to Highest setting reboot the computer and see if its any better

nobbyhigo 17:50 15 Oct 2009

ok this is what i have found so far. No matter if i use ethernet or wireless i get the same result connected but wont download, win xp, says on diagnostic " cannot connect using HTTP HTTPS orFTP
Ccheck firewall for ports 80 443 21 . It is running AVG 8.5 i have unticked all the start up boxes using MSCONFIG/ STARTUP hoping to dissable AVG ,but still the same result. How can i dissable the AVG FIREWALL just to check if thats causing my problem

peter99co 18:05 15 Oct 2009

Right click on taskbar AVG icon and exit

nobbyhigo 18:42 15 Oct 2009

thanks for that i have dissabled AVG in the taskbar
Still the same good connection but wont download page. oh and windows firewall is dissabled

woodchip 21:42 15 Oct 2009

Check that the windows Firewall is not running, Control Panel\Security

nobbyhigo 22:43 15 Oct 2009

yep did that first job

peter99co 22:48 15 Oct 2009

Do not connect to net without a firewall!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?