laptop wifi enabled

User-2FCB59D9-D4E4-4977-BE9CBAF054169678 09:14 10 Nov 2007

hi im using a desktop pc wireless orange broadband router ive recently purchased a dell inspiron pentium 2 laptop windows 98 it has a wifi card on the side of the laptop that slots in i cant get the laptop to connect to the internet can someone please please help i have 2 disks that come with my desktop pc one disk is live box setup the other is wireless adaptor setup do i have to use any of these disks im disabled in a wheelchair can someone talk me through what to do thanks

chris05 11:20 10 Nov 2007

What I would do is first make sure all driver are installed for the wifi card, even before that I would make sure the card is compatible with your router, here is a site you can check that explains different wifi standards

click here

its more than likely you need a 802.11g card but some routers do support multiple standards.

Seeming your using 98 most people have probably bypassed the question like the plague :-) xp is allot more wifi friendly, anyway here is a really good site to get you on your way.

click here

let me know how you get on or if you need anything explaining in greater detail :-)

mgmcc 11:59 10 Nov 2007

Is the laptop running Windows 98 *SECOND EDITION* because, as far as I'm aware, wireless networking isn't possible with the original version of Windows 98?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 10 Nov 2007

MAke and model of PCmcia wireless card?

Have you run the wireless adaptor CD in the laptop? do this first and follow the prompts to enable the wireless card.

click here

the make of the wifi card is ATERM WL11CA WARPSTAR WIRELESS LAN CARD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:46 11 Nov 2007

Can only find instructions in Japenese for this card.

If you have the card enabled and connected but cannot get web pages to load then the problem is usually the livebox security settings.

Set them to WPA only.

hi where do i find WPA on livebox

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:00 11 Nov 2007

IF the Livebox is switched off or powered down then it resets to it factory settings.

If you can connect to the livebox BUT NOT get any web pages to open you need to cahange the security setting in the live box.

To change the setting

1. Connect to the live box with an ethernet cable.

2. click here or type http:// configuration.adsl/ (without the space) in your browser address line.

3. you will now be connected to the livebox click on "Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password)."

4. Input the username and password (admin for both if you have not changed it)

5. Click Configuration - Advanced - Wireless

6. You will see that it is set to WPA or WEP security click and set to WPA security only

7. Click submit and wait for the livebox to rest itself.

8. Disconnect the ethernet cable and you now should be able to connect by wireless

hi my dektop pc is ok livebox is fine im try to connect laptop to livebox im going round in circles with this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 11 Nov 2007

You need to get the Livebox set correctly for wireless (see above)

Once livebox is set.

Then you need to set laptop.
Using wireless adptor software (what software ?)

hi ive got 2 disks that come with livebox one is livebox disk the other one is wireless adaptor disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?