Laptop Vista problem

DannyChiz 18:30 21 Jul 2009

My laptop's been working fine until I turned it on today & it randomly came up with an error message on a blue screen. It says:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software maufacturer for any Windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any new installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00008086 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

God knows what's up with it as it's never done this before but anyone know how to get rid of it as I can't get to the Windows log in screen. I've tried restarting it loads of times but to no avail. It's on Vista, tried googling the idea but no joy, anyone know what's up with it & how to fix it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 21 Jul 2009

Run CHKDSK /R from within the XP Recovery Console !

Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator password. Then run CHKDSK /R from the command line.

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the "dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /R :X
where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
click here

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
click here

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 21 Jul 2009

How-to Use Check Disk

Using the Graphical User Interface (GUI)

1. Open the Start Menu and click Computer.
2. Right-click the drive you want to perform a check disk on and select Properties.
3. Click the Tools tab in the drive Properties window.

check-disk1.PNG
4. Click Check Now under error checking.
5. To perform a complete check of your hard drive for errors check off both options in the check disk window that pops up.

check-disk2.PNG
6. Click the Start button to start the process.
7. If you are trying to check a hard drive that has open files you’ll get a message similar to the one shown below.

check-disk3.PNG

Click Schedule disk check. Disk check can’t check a hard drive that has open files. Your computer will reboot and check the disk before Windows Vista boots up. If you want to cancel the scheduled disk check for any reason, check out this guide.

Using the Command Line Interface

Check Disk can also be run using the command line (DOS) prompt.

1. Open the command prompt with administrative privileges by typing cmd in the search box in the Start Menu and right-click cmd.exe in the search results and then select Run as Administrator.
2. Type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed below in the command prompt.

If you run the check disk (chkdsk) command from the command prompt by typing just chkdsk check disk will run in read only mode. All it does is check for errors. It will not fix any errors it finds unless told to do so. This is done by adding switches when typing chkdsk in the command prompt.

A switch looks something like chkdsk /F. Notice the switch /F after the chkdsk command.

Below is a list of most of the switches used with the check disk command. You can use one or a combination of switches with the check disk command.

D: If you want check disk to scan a drive other than the C: drive, add the drive letter after chkdsk to tell it to scan that drive. If the drive is called X: on your computer it would look like chkdsk X:.

/F: The /F switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. Chkdsk can’t fix errors on a disk that has open files. If chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots or dismount the drive choose to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots. Never choose to dismount the drive. That option should only be used by a professional.

/R: The /R switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that can’t hold saved data anymore.

/I: The /I switch tells chkdsk to perform a less detailed but faster disk check.

/C: The /C switch tells chkdsk to skip the checking of cycles within a folder structure which reduces the scan time. Don’t ask me what this means.

An example of an exhaustive disk check using the command line interface is:

chkdsk D: /F /R

The check disk command shown above will fix any errors it finds and also attempt to recover bad sectors of the D: drive if any are found.

DannyChiz 18:56 21 Jul 2009

It's on Vista & I haven't got a Vista disk.

DannyChiz 18:57 21 Jul 2009

It doesn't get as far as logging on to Windows just keep coming up with the same blue screen when I restart it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache