Laptop very slow with ZL Client & Firefox

Chillie 15:28 13 May 2010

Hello everyone

Seeking some advice. The laptop is very slow as treacle (even writing this is very slow). Had ZASS but removed it as CPU was almost permanently in the high 90s caused by ZASS and Firefox.

I now have ZA Firewall Free but the system is still showing ZL Client in the 40s, Firefox also in the 40s.

System is Dell Inspiron 5160 with 2 Gb RAM, Win XP 3, ZA Firewall, Avast 50545, Firefox 3.6.3.

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received. Even thinking of using Windows Firewall!

Many thanks
Chillie

Pineman100 16:33 13 May 2010

Various internet reports seem to send very mixed messages about Zone Alarm Security Suite. Some people seem very happy with it, others say that it slows down their computer substantially.

And some say it uninstalls cleanly, others that it doesn't.

So it's difficult to know exactly where your problem lies. But here's what I would try.

Uninstall any Zone Alarm products in your computer.
Run CCleaner (click here), including its registry cleaning module.

Reinstall ZA Firewall Free - or choose another free firewall, such as Comodo (click here)

Rahere 18:12 13 May 2010

Also try Chrome browser instead of Firefox - I found the latter was a resource hog.

littlephoenix 19:50 13 May 2010

you surly could have a spyware or virus slowing down your PC, have you done any sort of scan for spyare or virus?
click here to read step by step instructions of what apps you need to run to clean yoru PC, also as Rahere mentioned, use Chrome, its a much faster browser.

Chillie 20:14 13 May 2010

Pineman100 - have already done a clean uninstall of ZASS followed by CCleaner on the registry before installing ZA Firewall. Will bear Comodo in mind for tomorrow.

Checked through Google and found an item on Zone Alarm Community. A member suggested the following to set the debug level to 'off' and then delete the large log file in the Internet Logs folder. Now ZA Client is not hogging the CPU.

My next step is to deal with Firefox. I will give Chrome a try and report back.

Once again many thanks

Chillie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache