laptop to use broadband and dial

ecclesk 09:49 07 Nov 2005

I currently connect to the internet using dial up but i would would like be able to plug into my friends router when i'm there to access the internet and check email is it possible to have two profiles on my my laptop so i can swap between the two depending on where i am?

Also any advice on setting up the connection with the router.

Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 10:44 07 Nov 2005

As long as you have either a wired network port or a wireless port (depending on what your friend has) you should not have any problems.

Diodorus Siculus 10:45 07 Nov 2005

As long as you have either a wired network port or a wireless port (depending on what your friend has) you should not have any problems.

Just post more details of what hardware you have and what you want to connect to.

ecclesk 11:37 07 Nov 2005

it's a d-link 504t router.

do i have to change any settings in my web browser & outlook?

Diodorus Siculus 15:03 07 Nov 2005

Is that a wireless router? If it is, you can get a wireless adaptor and connect that way - following the instructions provided.

Otherwise you can connect with a standard network cable.

The only setting you may have to change is the outgoing smtp server for email if you have a different ISP to the broadband one.

Diodorus Siculus 15:06 07 Nov 2005

Looking at the web, it doesn't seem to be a wireless router so you will have to connect with a cable via your network port.

ecclesk 16:09 07 Nov 2005

Thanks for your info.

the dial up is tiscali and the bb is plusnet, so does this mean i have to change the smtp server every time or can i set up two profiles, one for each connection

when i use firefox browser how will it know what connection i'm using? do i need to change any settings.

your help is greatly apriciated.

Stuartli 16:23 07 Nov 2005

Set up the normal connection for each ISP i.e. dialup for Tiscali and BB for PlusNet on your system (presumably the Tiscali one already exists) and leave Tiscali as the Default.

Whilst on the other system use the dialup menu to choose PlusNet for the connection (easiest way is actually by using Start>Settings>Network Connections)

I often attach other people's base systems to my own BB ISP at home after setting up the equivalent of my account on their system.

It saves a lot of time if any downloading has to be undertaken. It can be left on the system as Username and Password is left Unremembered and, in any case, it wouldn't work on another phone.

ecclesk 17:32 07 Nov 2005

Thank you all for help.

i'm now browsing on the broadband connection, supprising easy to set up.

i have managed to recieve emails also but i have to change the connection settings in outlook each time i change from dial up to bb, is there any way round this?

also does it matter that my anti virus (AVG) is configured for a dial up connection?

Thanks again for the advice.

Diodorus Siculus 18:00 07 Nov 2005

I don't know an easy way round the smtp server problem - an otpion is to install your own smtp server to use regardless of what ISP is in use.

Don't know about AVG either but it should not matter.

Stuartli 19:43 07 Nov 2005

It's a while since I used AVG (now use Avast! which updates itself whilst you are online) but I don't recall ever having to configure it for dialup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone