LAPTOP USE IN AUSTRALIA

littlestan 14:09 17 Jan 2009

Hi, I am going to Australia in April to visit my daughter. She has broadband in Sydney where she lives and uses an AppleMac. I want to take my laptop - bog standard HP running Vista. Could anyone advise me if there is anything special i will need to do when in oz to pick up the internet etc ? Also will my free spyware, AVG, CC etc i have installed still do its stuff there as here? Any help and advice, as always from you guys would be really appreciated.

very many thanks
LS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 17 Jan 2009

will my free spyware, AVG, CC etc i have installed still do its stuff there as here?

Yes no problem

broadband in Sydney where she lives and uses an AppleMac

Any idea what modem router she uses?

littlestan 15:42 17 Jan 2009

Fruit bat - many thanks - good to know security covered. no idea sorry about router - hopefully i can plug in and i will be connected !!????

littlestan 15:44 17 Jan 2009

Fruit bat - many thanks - good to know the security stuff will be protecting. Sorry no idea about router - i am hoping to plug in and away i go - hopefully ???
thank u LS

bremner 16:01 17 Jan 2009

I have carried laptops around the world and have never had any issues connecting either wirelessly or through a wire to friends, business or hotel networks.

I am sure you will have no problem

oldbeefer2 17:21 17 Jan 2009

Wife took Dell lappy to Sydney. Connected to son's wireless router with no probs. The only thing you will probably not be able to use is Outlook or OE - if you use a Yahoo or similar acct you'll be OK. Wife set up a Googlemail acct before she left for the same reason.

littlestan 17:36 17 Jan 2009

Excellent advice everyone and very reassuring - Hopefully hotmail will be ok but will do a google one as well.

Again many thanks everyone x

Forum Editor 18:25 17 Jan 2009

and you should be able to simply plug your machine into your daughter's router. It doesn't care whether it's a Mac or a PC, as long as it has a spare Ethernet port you'll be fine.

Maybe it's a wireless router, in which case you'll be fine as well - you'll just need your daughter's security key.

I visit a client in Sydney regularly, and he also uses a Mac. I connect my laptop to his wireless router without any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?