Laptop USB ports not recognizing devices

NChick 12:26 07 Oct 2007

Hi there again. My laptop, a Packard Bell Easynote, is having issues with my USB devices, namely they're not working. They're obviously receiving power as their lights activate and the BIOS finds them, but they're not accessable via Windows and they're not listed in Device Manager. The devices work fine on my desktop and the Troubleshooter can't find a solution (big surprise). Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:12 07 Oct 2007

In device manager - click Action - Scan for new hardware see if your laptop will detect the ports.

If not then Unistall EVERYTHING under the heading USB in device manager and the reboot the machine.
Let windows find and install new hardware and your devices should then be recognised.

NChick 13:19 07 Oct 2007

Have tried the scan for new hardware - no luck.
I'm a little nervous about your second suggestion though - could you provide some details to minimize the risk of me screwing it up, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 07 Oct 2007

Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device manager.

Scroll down to USB ontrollers - click + to expand - highlight each one individually - right click and select uninstall from the menu.

When ALL of them uninstalled - shutdown the machine and then restart.

Windows will automatically find new hardware as it boots and reinstall the drivers.

(you need to do this incase you have a corrupt driver)

NChick 15:45 19 Oct 2007

Not quite sure how to say this, but after a week or so of suffering, the laptop has fixed itself and I didn't do anything! :S
Although this miracle did lead me to discover another fault, I'm pleased to be using my flash drives and scanners again. Thanks for all your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?