laptop upgrades?

tommyd69 01:40 28 Aug 2010

Hello, im not great with computers could you help/advise me please, ive just won a laptop on ebay its a h/p zt3000, it has 256mb ram, 30gb harddrive, also the hard drive has been formated so the seller said i need a new o/s.
so i think i need around 1gb ram, and maybe 120gb harddrive? what about an external hdd? also i need a o/s i was thinking windows xp? or would linux be ok and save me money? will the laptop work with just a new o/s? can you advise me on what i need to buy for my laptop for a cheap price please, im on a really tight budget i want to use it to surf the web/face book etc, listen to music and some times watch live football on internet tv sites.
thank you for your help

robin_x 02:21 28 Aug 2010

Are you sure you not being scammed? Free prize then extra charges?

A recent laptop should be 1GB RAM and 160GB or 250GB HDD.

My 12 yr old laptop is 128MB and 12GB and it runs like a pig except with constant coaxing.

(I have a desktop and a 1yr old laptop, but I dropped the laptop and so it is broken for now)

onthelimit 09:40 28 Aug 2010

For what you want to do, 30Gb should be plenty. RAM up to 1Gb (but you need to make sure the motherboard will support that - a check with the Crucial scanner when you're up and running will tell you what is what). Ext HDD not needed. Operating System? Linux is free - I would try that first and see how you get on with it before buying Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone