Laptop upgrade v buying new laptop - help!

Gamen 13:47 15 Mar 2015

Hi everyone,

My current laptop spec is as follows-

Advent laptop - bought around 2008 Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83GHz 15.4 Widescreen TFT Memory - 2GB Hard Disk - 250GB Optical Drive - DVD+/-RW Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

I need to upgrade my laptop so that it can run comfortably Autocad/Revit/3dsmax/Photoshop and other similar programs.

Could anyone give me an idea to what I would need to upgrade for this/ if this is even possible for such an old laptop and whether you think its just going to be better to get a new laptop?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Natalie

Batch 13:57 15 Mar 2015

You might be able to add more memory (you would need to check how much memory it could take). In any event 4GB would be the max. total.

I'm sceptical as to whether this laptop would have a SATA hard disk. If it does you could change to a Solid State Disk (SSD). If not you're stuck with what you've got.

That's about it. Laptops are not very upgradeable (e.g. it is not practicable to put in a new processor).

In any event, the whole thing would be dragged down by the very old architecture.

Bottom line - don't bother even thinking about it. Get a new laptop,

Gamen 14:01 15 Mar 2015

Hi Batch,

Thanks for the response; is it easy to check how much memory I can upgrade to? If so, how do I do this?

By the looks of it, you may be right in just buying a new one!

Batch 14:41 15 Mar 2015

Select your laptop details here (or download the system scanner linked to on the same page): click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 15 Mar 2015

7 yr old laptop you've probably had your monies worth out of it.

hard drive and memory is all that can be upgraded so probably not worth the effort / cost.

better spending the money on a newer one remembering you'll get a free upgrade to windows 10 later in the year with any windows 8 laptop bought now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?