Laptop Unresponsive

mark3986 11:22 14 May 2009

hi my laptop is very un responsive and going really slow ive got spyware blaster,avast,malware bytes,ccleaner,firefox and uniblue disk defragger oh n zonealarm free firewall,registry mechanic too thanks.wot would you guys reccommend its HP 4GB memory and 220 Harddrive with ATI radeon graphics and AMD turion X2 64

Taff™ 11:53 14 May 2009

This could be a Windows Update that has got stuck in the system. (I suspect .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 because I`ve had 5 other computers affected in the last two weeks) Go to Windows Update manually and see if it`s there. It`s 240 Mb download and can take over an hour to install. If that`s not the problem post back and we`ll look at what`s running on the system.

mark3986 12:05 14 May 2009

ive checked my update history and it says its installed successfully mate

Taff™ 12:21 14 May 2009

No others that could be stuck either?

Have you tried opening Taskmanager and seeing what`s running and what % the PSU is running at?

mark3986 14:23 14 May 2009

wot do u mean mate how do i find out wether a update is stuck or not wots the PSU

Graphicool1 14:38 14 May 2009

Power Supply Unit (PSU)
Right click a blank space on the 'Task Bar' select 'Task Manager'

Graphicool1 14:41 14 May 2009

While you're looking, check your Processor (CPU)

Graphicool1 14:44 14 May 2009

How big is the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and how much %space is left?

Taff™ 14:44 14 May 2009

Have you checked that there are no microsoft updates by going to them manually? What Operating System are you on by the way?

Sorry I meant CPU - Central Processing Unit. Open Task Manager (CTRL+Alt+DEL keys together) and on the processes tab click on the header of the memory column to sort into order. (Click again if they sort wrongly, you want the highest figures at the top) Also note the CPU Usage right at the bottom - it should be less than 10% with nothing running. What does it register?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017