Laptop Unmountable Boot Record

sjl17 13:26 02 Jan 2007

My new HP Compaq laptop will not start up and gives the error message as per the Title. I've found this solution on the HP website:

click here

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to log onto the C:Windows installation to carry out the fix - when I access the repair I am only given the option of logging onto the D:MiniNT recovery partition. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks!

Technotiger 13:37 02 Jan 2007

Maybe not much help, but if it was mine I would take it back and get them to Repair or Replace.

sjl17 13:41 02 Jan 2007

I would prefer to recover it myself as there are some files on there that I need...

Technotiger 13:50 02 Jan 2007

Understood, but does not the recovery partition do as it says then .. ie - Recover?

sjl17 13:53 02 Jan 2007

No. This simply returns the laptop to it's original factory configuration. It warns that all data will be lost.

Technotiger 13:56 02 Jan 2007

Oh dear, seems you do have a problem then - very sorry I cannot help in this instance, but hope others here can.

Good luck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 02 Jan 2007

Is this a proper XP CD and not just a Recovery CD?

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

sjl17 11:27 08 Jan 2007

Thanks for the input all. Finally had to use the recovery dvd's to restore the laptop to factory condition, which I have done successfully. However, when I run the HDD diagnostics from the BIOS, it fails with the Error: Read Error, cannot complete test.
Is the Hard Disk bust? Should I send it back to HP even though the laptop is 'working' at the moment?
Thanks!

Technotiger 11:42 08 Jan 2007

Have you tried running the diagnostics test more than once, if so, do you get the same error message?

If you do, then I would suggest yout try an on-line diagnostics test to see if that makes any difference, or to see if an on-line test might come up with any other fix? Plenty to be found a simple Goggle.

Technotiger 11:43 08 Jan 2007

Failing all the above - yes, return for repair/replacement.

sjl17 11:52 08 Jan 2007

I've run the test numerous times and fails each time with the same error. CHKDSK also finds errors. I'll download an online one if it fails I'll contact HP...

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?