Laptop typing problem using W7

Govan1x 17:16 05 Jun 2017
Answered

Old Toshiba laptop and it will not type properly.

It is all gobblygook and adds letters not typed. It is a Toshibe Satellite C600-15z.

I did a system restore on it but just the same. I cant type anything into run or cmd as it does not show the letters that I have typed.

Was going to do a factory restore but do not want to do that if it is going to do the same.

Any ideas anyone. The laptop belongs to my daughter who needs it for work. Once the words are typed I cannot then remove them using the back space.

Govan1x 17:21 05 Jun 2017

I have tried it in safe mode and it is just the same. Using my own computer to type this.

difarn 18:28 05 Jun 2017

Have you checked that numlock is off? - fn + numlock.

Have you tried these troubleshooting steps?

• Go to Control Panel and click on Keyboard.
  • Adjust the Repeat Delay close to Short and Repeat Rate 5 clicks less from Fast.
  • Click on Apply and OK then test it again.
  Govan1x 18:35 05 Jun 2017

Will give them a try shortly difarn just started sfn /scannow using the onboard keyboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 05 Jun 2017

its possible the keyboard ribbon is damaged and you may need to strip the laptop and replace the keyboard.

Have you tried connecting a USB keyboard and see if that works OK?

Govan1x 22:25 05 Jun 2017
Answer

difarn

No luck with those. Will try FBs fixes tomorrow. Will see if I have a usb keyboard lying about somewhere.

When I try to type rope i get .

r.lo. r.lopez. r.lowe. Basically I get the first letter then when i type another letter I get the r. Plus whatever it adds each time.

Sort of stumped with this and no use doing a back to factory setting as system restore did not fix it so probably the same doing factory settings.

Govan1x 09:02 06 Jun 2017

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Hard to believe that i do not have a usb keyboard. Using a PS2 one and have another brand new one in my junk cupboard.

I have given various members of the family my old computers so must have gave them the keyboards as well.

Raining fairly heavy here just now so do not think I will be out and about today.

Does anyone else agree that going back to factory settings will be a waste of time as the the problem will still be there.

Govan1x 20:38 06 Jun 2017

Not had a chance on getting a hold of a usb keyboard so just going to order a new keyboard for it. just short of £10 on Amazon .

This has to be the easiest laptop to change keyboards ever. Took about 5 minutes.

Numbers work ok But cant erase anything that is typed and still gibberish.

Still not convinced it is a faulty keyboard though but we will find out soon enough.

Govan1x 15:44 09 Jun 2017

New keyboard in and working ok. thanks everyone.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires