Laptop to TV, troubleshooting help please!

wyrdwoman 18:10 07 Apr 2010

I connected my Compaq Presario C500 laptop to a Sony Bravia 32 inch tv, using VGA and 3.5mm jack cables. Worked fine to begin with, then I fiddled around with screen resolutions and settings which seemed to go ok. Some of them are not compatible but a couple were and I was looking for the best one. Then suddenly laptop screen went black same as tv screen. Unplugged VGA cable, laptop display returns. Plug in VGA, laptop goes black again. I know I must have altered some setting somewhere but cannot sort this out - and cannot check dual screen settings as tv has to be connected to do this. Very hard to alter any settings on a black screen! PLease help - any technies out there?!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 07 Apr 2010

One of the F keys + FN will cycle between LCD screen TV and both together see if you can get at least one working by using this method.

wyrdwoman 19:06 07 Apr 2010

Aah...thank you Fruit Bat. It was CTRl-Alt-F3! Unfortunately the laptop prefers one of the screen resolutions that is not compatible with the tv, so now I have to have it on the tv's preferred resolution to watch downloaded video. Any ideas or is that just how it is?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017