Laptop to TV - Help! Blank screen problem

lisalab1 14:12 27 Feb 2011

I am trying to connect my laptop to my TV via VGA cable (because my laptop does not have a S-video cable socket) and all I am getting is a blank screen on the TV.

I have a sony PCG 7164m model with Windows Vista. Do I need to configure the Dislay Settings on the Laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 27 Feb 2011

Have you used the key sequence Fn+ one of the F keys (blue sqaure) to switch to the external vga output?

Ian in Northampton 14:49 27 Feb 2011

On most laptops, there is a key combination you can toggle to give you local screen only, local and remote screen, and remote screen only. It's something like Fn and F7. The relevant F key should have some kind of marking that shows a couple of displays. Press and hold down Fn, then the relevant F key, and repeat till you get to the display output you want.

Ian in Northampton 14:50 27 Feb 2011

Fruit Bat /\0/\: great minds...

Jollyjohn 14:52 27 Feb 2011

use FN+ F5 or F6 one of those combinations will dim the screen the other should cycle through "laptop display only" laptop and external monitor" and "external monitor only"

Jollyjohn 14:53 27 Feb 2011

Too slow - because I went to look at my laptop!

Ian in Northampton 15:52 27 Feb 2011

Excellent: competitive answering... :-)

lisalab1 21:18 01 Mar 2011

Hi

I've tried using the FN key with F5 and F6 and it only moves the brightness on the laptop only. Not the TV, its still blank black screen.

Do I need to alter something with my Display settings for example "intel graphics media accelerator driver for mobile" or the monitor?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?