Laptop to TV

User-1594181 20:01 23 Aug 2010

We wish to connect the laptop to TV basically to be able, as a family, to watch BBC IPlayer on downstairs TV in a lot more comfort. I have a wireless network but am considering buying homeplug hardware to increase the speed of data. I would then connect the laptop to homeplug downstairs via LAN cable------Connection to the TV---the laptop has a femail VGA socket and also female S-Video socket. The TV has scart, HDMI, female VGA , RCA female sockets. I have a connector S-Video (male) at one end and the other end -S-Video (female) plus 3 female RCA's- Green labelled as "Y Out": Blue- labelled "Pr/Video out": Red: "Pr out". (What does "Y" and "Pr" stand for, please?) The whole length of this "cable" is about 6 inches. I do also have other RCA cables. What do I need to do to have the PC shown on TV from BBC Iplayer? My simple mind tells me that I need a male adapter to connect to the VGA socket on the laptop with a cable attached to that with a male VGA on the other end to go into the TV. BUT, is that simple I ask myself?? Thank you in anticipation.

Ian in Northampton 20:13 23 Aug 2010

The simple answer to your question is: yes, it's that simple. Just connect the VGA port on your laptop to the VGA port on your TV. Two things to bear in mind:

1. There is probably a key combination on your laptop that will make the laptop output to the VGA port. It's usually 'Fn' and something. Often, if you toggle it, you get laptop only, TV only or both.

2. There is probably a menu item on your TV that you need to select to cause it to 'see' the VGA port.

Don't worry about all the other video stuff - you should be fine.

User-1594181 20:27 23 Aug 2010

Many thanks Ian for that very good news. I shall go and make a purchase now of the Homeplug items. Thanks for taking the time to help.

woodchip 21:06 23 Aug 2010

Big problem is No sound via VGA cable. you need a sound cable also from earphone socket on laptop to sound in on TV

woodchip 21:07 23 Aug 2010

With VGA is no good for reading text. You need HDMI to do that

Ian in Northampton 08:46 24 Aug 2010

Woodchip: well remembered about sound - I'd completely overlooked that.

But VGA no good for text - are you sure? For small text, you may be right, but...?

User-1594181 09:23 24 Aug 2010

Thank you guys--will also use sound connection.

Pineman100 09:26 24 Aug 2010

You didn't use the forum search facility before posting, did you?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?