Laptop & tower pickup different connections

Migwell 23:25 25 Nov 2009

When I switch on my laptop and try to go onto the internet it picks up someone's un-secured BT Openworld connection and will not let me go any further. When I go into the connections and renew the list it finds mine which is on WPA security, and I then can connect on to it. However when I switch on the tower it connects straight away with my own connection. When I go into connection list on the tower there is no sign of the BT Openworld connection even when I renew the list of local connectionsIs there any way I can stop the BT Openworld hijacking my laptop or findout who is running the BT Oprnworld so I can advise them of the security risk they are causing to themselves? This has happenen three times this week, and I have not seen the BT connection before this. I have 5 green bars and an excelent connection on the tower and the BT one has three green bars and good connection. A friend of mine in our street has two green bars show up on my computer and he lives 9 houses away.

Any thoughts on this would be a great help, thanks in advance.
Migwell

User-1229748 23:55 25 Nov 2009

at connections click on your wireless network connection-wireless properties and untick connect to a more preferred network if aviliable.don't know what operating system you are using but thats hoe to get to it in windows 7.

Migwell 00:00 26 Nov 2009

using xp

Migwell 00:01 26 Nov 2009

Xp on tower & Vista on Laptop.

Migwell 00:05 26 Nov 2009

Xp on tower & Vista on Laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?