Laptop tells me it might have a corrupted C drive!

tisch 22:19 29 Jul 2008

My Acer Aspire 5633 (windows XP) has been playing up a lot recently - going slow, endless runtime errors, closing Firefox all the time etc etc.

Came on here to see what I should do and have just run a disk clean up and defrag on it. When I did the defrag the computer gave an error message saying the C drive may be corrupted - eek!

What should I do now?

Have also just downloaded ccleaner as per recommendations in other threads here but not run it yet - should I?

Thanks - Nicola

skidzy 22:24 29 Jul 2008

1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. Use one of the following procedures:
• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

tisch 22:47 29 Jul 2008

Hi skidzy

tried your suggestions. The only one it would run was chkdsk on its own. This resulted in the comp saying it had found errors but wouldn't fix them without me using the f command.

Have tried both the volume:/f and volume:/r commands and it won't recognise either - just says "the drive, the path, or the file name is not valid"

thanks for help but any further advice gratefully received!

Nicola :-)

skidzy 22:54 29 Jul 2008

The Volume needs replacing to the letter of the drive you wish to check and repair,normally C:

1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. Use one of the following procedures:
• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

• To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type

chkdsk c: /f /r

best to copy and paste.

tisch 23:37 29 Jul 2008

Ok, I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't get that the first time *blushes*

Thanks for the advice Skidzy - have done the error check/repair thingamie and am now re-running the disc defragmentor thing again

Fingers crossed....

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017