laptop for a teenager

40deb47 09:49 08 May 2009

help,my daughter is gonna be 12 in couple of weeks.I promised her a laptop but not got a clue.Only really wanna spend in region of £250,needs internet acc,webcam,an a software pack with either microsoft or vista so she can do h/work so think it has word,excel,etc.Worst of all she wants it pink!memory im not sure how much would a child need?

woodchip 10:35 08 May 2009

Aldi have a Netbook with three year warranty, 160Gb Hard Drive, running XP home plenty of software for doing the things she needs. only thing it does not have is a Optical Drive, but you can buy a DVDRW drive that plugs into USB very cheap. or use a memory stick or SD card to load any programs as the Netbook as card reader and USB. Think the Price is about £275

woodchip 10:36 08 May 2009

Its also WiFi and Ethernet connections

oldbeefer2 10:58 08 May 2009

Rather than MS Office, you could download Open Office (free and compatible with all Office programmes). If you are going to give her access to the internet, make sure you have the usual antivirus/malware etc and I would strongly recommend some parental control software (there are free ones such as K9 or you can buy).

Technotiger 11:23 08 May 2009

Slightly over your price range perhaps, but Novatech in Hampshire not far from Portsmouth, is a very well respected computer supplier, with good after-sales if needed.

click here

Whatever you get, I agree with oldbeefer2, Open Office Org is Free and is as good as Microsoft Office for school use.

ztronicsalien 11:34 08 May 2009

Hi,

This time i am using Alienware Area m5500 include its widescreen 15.4" display. Alienware Area m5500 has two graphics chips, which you can choose between with a flick of switch and a reboot. You may go for this one.more on this...click here

Technotiger 11:50 08 May 2009

Hi, you no doubt mean well, but I would not advise anyone in UK to buy from a firm in California.

Plus, the laptops at Novatech are new, not refurbished, and Novatech are without doubt cheaper.

Sea Urchin 12:17 08 May 2009

Sadly the post from ztronicsalien is spam - you'll notice it's his/her own site on the "click here"

Technotiger 13:33 08 May 2009

Yes, I did wonder.

woodchip 15:52 08 May 2009

The Aldi Netbook as Corel Software loaded Office and Draw

thetic 18:06 08 May 2009

Been there with the 'its got be pink dad'i got my daughter the dell inspiron in pink its ideal for a teenager over you budget mind you it cost £327.99. if you can get her to change her mind and go for the black you save £28.99. all the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017