laptop switching itself off

zebbydog 09:32 21 Feb 2009

Hello i have a toshiba A60 it runs for about 40 mins then swithches its self off and will not start for about an hour.It seems to get quite hot.
But if i run it on the battery only it runs ok,it only seems to do it when run on the mains.
any ideas please.

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:41 21 Feb 2009

by reducing cpu frequency when on battery power.On mains the laptop will run at maximum performance so any cooling fans or heatsinks that are clogged up with dust and fluff may not be able to keep the machine cool.

birdface 10:31 21 Feb 2009

Maybe run it without the battery connected.

zebbydog 12:49 22 Feb 2009

I have run it ok on just the battery and it will run ok on mains without battery in but run on mains with battery in it switches off after about 40 mins. Battery holds charge ok and charges ok. it shows power at 90%

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:52 22 Feb 2009

Overheat

Will get a lot hotter when both running and charging the battery at the same time.

This is why OK off just battery or just mains.

Make sure all grills are clear of dust and fluff use a vacuum cleaner on the grills.

User-1229748 14:39 22 Feb 2009

scroll down in the link and it suggests you may be able to clean without taking the laptop apart click here

User-1229748 14:40 22 Feb 2009

if you do need to take apart to cleanclick here

T0SH 15:10 22 Feb 2009

In the power options settings you will find two options a Battery powered option running in a lower power use mode and a Mains powered option running in a full powered mode

for a workaround reset the Mains power options to the same as the Battery

this action will reduce the overall performance of the laptop but should keep it running for you

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?