LAPTOP SWITCHING OFF

parkhead 22:49 15 Dec 2009

Hello Wizards,

My daughter has a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718 (about three years old) which keeps switching off although the battery shows a reading of 80%.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

parkhead 11:40 16 Dec 2009

Hello ,

Got a fuller picture of the problem now.

If running on battery the laptop switches off after 10-15 mins even though the battery meter shows 80%. If switched back on it will run again for 10-15 mins. If it is plugged into the mains it will run forever. It is approximately two years old.

Many thanks.

johnem 13:21 16 Dec 2009

Think that you have found the problem, it is probably a power saving setting that has been inadvertently changed or mis-set.

woodchip 13:52 16 Dec 2009

As above power saver problems, you need to change the settings, first check in Control Panel under Power, then in Device Manager check anything in manager for power saving

parkhead 16:30 16 Dec 2009

Hi johnem and woodchip,

Thanks very much for that. I will get my daughter to try it tonight. Can I just ask though, if it is the power saving settings would that not also switch it off after 10-15 mins if it was plugged into the mains? I hope you are going to tell me "no".

Thanks again.

peter99co 16:46 16 Dec 2009

All will be clear when you check power settings. It is different for mains or battery and you just set according to your needs. The Laptop should use the battery from time to time and be left to run down to about 10% before going to standby. This is good for the battery.

On mains you can leave for on all the time but even then if you walk away and leave it running for say 20 mins before going to standby is useful.

woodchip 17:29 16 Dec 2009

In Control Panel Power Settings there are two lots of settings one for running on mains and other on battery

parkhead 20:38 16 Dec 2009

Guys,

Thanks very much indeed for your efforts to help. I'm afraid adjusting the power saving settings has not resolved the problem. Is there any thing else I could try.

Is it worth trying to restore to an earlier time?

Is a virus a possibility?

woodchip 21:49 16 Dec 2009

If its a a year or two old it may have build up of dust in intake outtake ducts that need cleaning as cpu may be shutting down to save damage due to overheating. try vacing the dust out air goes in at the bottom and comes out at side or back its mainly on the heat exchanger near cpu that collects the dust like fins on a radiator

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?