Laptop stopped recognising cd/dvd drive?

PC_HelpMe 17:51 02 Jun 2014
Answered

Hello,

Well as the title suggests really. There is an exclamation mark against the drive within the device manager.

In the properties section, under general, it says windows can't start the device as its configuration info in registry is incomplete or damaged (code 19).

I'm not aware that I've done anything in the last few days to cause it (it was working fine literally a few days ago), but if anyone can help me get it back working again, I'd be so grateful.

I'm running vista.

Thanks in advance :-)

onthelimit1 18:40 02 Jun 2014

In Dev Man, try uninstalling the device, then reboot. Windows will see it and reinstall the driver

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 02 Jun 2014

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Download or

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 02 Jun 2014
Answer

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

click here XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes click here works for W7 Vista or XP click here manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Download or

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 02 Jun 2014

Sorry about the double post siye kept crashing on me.

The Post formatting doesn't appear to be working correctly either, hope you can make out the advice.

PC_HelpMe 21:03 02 Jun 2014

Hi - and thank you for your suggestions.

So far I've tried uninstalling it - yet on reboot it is still showing as being in the Device Manager with the exlamation mark next to it. It also says that it still has the most recent driver on it so I'm unable to "update driver".

I've also tried fruit bat's first "click here" suggestion, but so far that hasn't helped either. I will try the other suggestions later tonight if I can too.

Could I ask - would a system restore work if I went back a few days or a week when I knew it worked then?

PC_HelpMe 21:03 02 Jun 2014

Hi - and thank you for your suggestions.

So far I've tried uninstalling it - yet on reboot it is still showing as being in the Device Manager with the exlamation mark next to it. It also says that it still has the most recent driver on it so I'm unable to "update driver".

I've also tried fruit bat's first "click here" suggestion, but so far that hasn't helped either. I will try the other suggestions later tonight if I can too.

Could I ask - would a system restore work if I went back a few days or a week when I knew it worked then?

bumpkin 22:51 02 Jun 2014

System restore is certainly worth a try, it would have been my first course of action.

PC_HelpMe 23:56 02 Jun 2014

Thanks for all your replies.

Special thanks to Fruit Bat (who has been my saviour on here for a number of years now). Your second "click here" did the trick - ended up going through the list of possible solutions to try and ended up being the very last one - something to do with an atapi(?) file in the register that I needed to create.

Thankfully I can now mark this as solved so BIT THANK YOU again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?