laptop start up

gazatiger 19:06 27 Nov 2006

my daughters laptop is taking forever to start up and its running very slow when she is able to use it
it is only 4 months old and it is a advent laptop with windows xp
i have noticed the following pop ups once its started
lucom server-2-7.exe ndetect.exe
wigatray.exe norton indicats that these programs are trying to access the computer

i have run a msconfig and although i dont know what im looking for the following programs are ticked in the start up box....
ccapp
issstart
soundman.exe
logitray
E-S4I1091
jusched
dumprep0-k
are these anything to do with the machine running slow and how can i get rid of them if not can you please give me some ideas on how o speed this up

VoG II 19:09 27 Nov 2006

click here to show you what the programs are in Task Manager.

Disabling startup items using msconfig click here

Diodorus Siculus 19:15 27 Nov 2006

How much RAM does it have? If anything less than 512MB it will be slow with XP and Norton.

Right click my computer and choose properties; that will tell you what RAM is there.

If you need more, go to click here and choose the option to scan your system - Crucial provide excellent customer service.

woodchip 19:20 27 Nov 2006

I would be inclined to remove the tick for E-S4I1091

Also dumprep0-k its a error reporting program For Memory Dump, so remove the tick.

If you want to put these back after you can, it only stops them at startup, by removing tick

gazatiger 19:20 27 Nov 2006

have check computer and it states it has 224mb of ram ?

VoG II 19:23 27 Nov 2006

That suggests 256 MB installed memory of which 32 MB is used by on-board graphics. I agree with Dio - more RAM.

Aargh 19:24 27 Nov 2006

Unless you are confident in using msconfig to select your startup settings, try this free download software - explains whats running and what you don't need.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 27 Nov 2006

Slow PC

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 27 Nov 2006

2. Hardware

a) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

d) Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

woodchip 19:26 27 Nov 2006

Yes mine was only 256 I put another 256 in, also bought a 60Gb 7200rpm Hitachi to replace the 30Gb 4200 that took ages to load, it was doing a disc read all the time with the old drive. Like a New Comp

skidzy 19:28 27 Nov 2006

Running the usual cleanup tools would be a good start.

Run your AV
Ccleaner click here
Spybot search and destroy and Adaware SE click here

AVG antispy previously Ewido click here

Also as pointed out above regarding MSCONFIG,untick everything except your firewall and Antivirus.

You can always retick them one by one.This may identify the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?