LAPTOP STANBY HELP (battery?)

shauny36 09:53 07 Mar 2006

have just bought a second hand laptop, when i switch it on then after about 5-10 mins it gives 1 beep every 5 seconds for about a minute then shuts down and the stanby light flashes(pic of moon).
have left it for a hour and then switched it back on and the battery seems to be flat with only 3% charge(power settings) and starts beeping as soon as i switch it on but as soon as i plug the power lead in it stops bleeping.
has it anything to do with setting or is it a dodgy battery.

Jackcoms 09:56 07 Mar 2006

Discharged or dodgy battery.

Leave it on mains power for a few hours to see if that charges the battery.

De Marcus™ 10:45 07 Mar 2006

Being a second hand laptop I think it's fair to assume the battery has reached the end of it's usable/rechargeable life.

There are a few places you can get replacements, whether or not this is a viable option is up to you.

click here

click here

click here

click here

anchor 11:00 07 Mar 2006

I agree with De Marcus™. It is most probable that the battery has "had it".

You have a choice to either get a replacement battery, (usually they are expensive), or just use it on the mains.

shauny36 15:36 07 Mar 2006

charged it up for about 4 hours turned it on and the battery indicator said 99% then after about 5 mins it started bleeping and turned itself of so i switched it back on and the battery indicator said 3% so i t must be the battery, as it works ok on the mains.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?