Laptop Spec Any Good For The Money?????

Highland Guy 20:03 03 Jan 2006

Hi All

Happy New Year

Could anyone tell me if the laptop spec and price in this link is any good please
click here

Many thanks in advance
HG

madPentium 20:06 03 Jan 2006

looks ok, but obviously not state of the art. If you can get it with 512mb ram, it will be faster in xp. Other than that, its not fast but adequate.

Highland Guy 20:13 03 Jan 2006

Thanks for that madpentium i'm just looking for a work laptop really, capable of running microsoft office xp ,e-mail and internet.

I would upgrade memory to 512mb as you suggest i just thought this was a good price for this spec as i dont want to spend a fortune on a high spec machine for these tasks.

Worth a buy ??????

HG

Highland Guy 20:26 03 Jan 2006

Here's another machine in same price bracket is it a better machine????
click here

Much the same spec but but with a sempron 3000 cpu.

HG

Belatucadrus 20:30 03 Jan 2006

In my opinion very good value, only a year ago a laptop of that spec would probably have cost twice as much. I had to replace my old laptop last year due to the unfortunate demise of the 300Mhz FIC. The new Dell has similar specs to the Woolies Medion though without the DVD-R and is more than up to everything you want a laptop for.
To be honest I doubt you could buy a current laptop that couldn't, my old one handled that kind of work without problem.
I would like to know a bit more about the supplied software "and much more" covers a multitude of sins, in that price bracket I'd expect Star or Works as an office suite.

Highland Guy 20:37 03 Jan 2006

Many thanks for that Belatucadrus just what I was thinking.Do you think that the e-buyer machine with the sempron is on par or better than the woolies special as they are both the same price?

As I dont know very much about celerons I am an AMD man myself.

HG

Chegs ®™ 22:28 03 Jan 2006

The woolies machine has WiFi and IE1394 weighed against the faster CPU in the e-buyer machine.The rest of the specs is nigh-on identical,so its left to your preferences to chose which machine to have.

sidecar sid 22:32 03 Jan 2006

Also if you add the Medion notebook bag to your order it is free.

click here

SG Atlantis® 22:35 03 Jan 2006

open office if they don't provide anything!

I like the looks of the ebuyer one, but if wifi is needed go with the woolies one.

PCworld's offering in this price bracket click here

007al 22:47 03 Jan 2006

What is your price limit?

Highland Guy 00:04 04 Jan 2006

Thanks to you all for your advice I am going to buy the woolies one, wi-fi will be handy. I will top up memory to 512 and all should be well.

Thanks

HG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?