Laptop and speakers

OhBeardedOne 09:42 13 Nov 2008

My Evesham desktop died, so I have replaced with a Dell studio 17 Laptop, which connects to three external hard drives, ethernet cable and monitor via a Toshiba Dynadock. All works perfectly so my only issue now is sound.
I have a Creative 7 speaker set which used to work off an Augigy 2 sound card. This had three mini jacks to connect to the sound card. Anybody got any idea how I can use this speaker set with the laptop, is there an external version of the soundcard perhaps?

Technotiger 09:47 13 Nov 2008

Have you got a Line-out socket on the laptop and a Line-in socket on the Speaker Control? If so, you could use a lead to connect the two, mini-jack to mini-jack. Assuming your speaker set has its own Power to mains.

Technotiger 09:48 13 Nov 2008

I am only guessing though ..... but that is what I would try.

OhBeardedOne 09:55 13 Nov 2008

Thanks Technotiger, yes I think there is, I'll give that a try.
I'd still rather find a proper 7:1 external sound card though to get proper control over the speakers. Anybody else?

Technotiger 10:57 13 Nov 2008

This is what the laptop has,

Intel High Definition Audio 2.0
Optional Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD Software Edition

.... but I can not find any indication of adding a external Sound card - though I found plenty of people looking for the same thing, apparently without success.

wjrt 15:38 13 Nov 2008

click here
read the review and have to also buy a creative docking station for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers

wjrt 15:39 13 Nov 2008

wrong link
click here

wjrt 15:44 13 Nov 2008

link on right hand of page to creative sound blaster laptop card. not doing well with links today

Technotiger 16:23 13 Nov 2008
  OhBeardedOne 07:35 14 Nov 2008

Thanks guys
Tempted by this Creative device, but I can't find anyone who stocks the, rather essential, optional docking station.

Technotiger 08:52 14 Nov 2008

Although it says 'Optional' I think that might just be badly worded - all the detail seems to point to the fact that this card does include 7.1 sound.

Perhaps you could contact Creative!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?