Laptop Sound is like talking on helium

Gadget_man 11:33 04 Jul 2007

Hi,

My laptop sound has gone funny, it is like someone has inhaled helium and then comes the funny voice.

The LAptop is an AMD Sempron 2800, 512mb ram, ATI Radeon xpress 200m, ac97 audio integrated speakers, 60gb hd, dvd rw. Windows XP

There is now yellow exclamation mark to suggest a problem in device manager.

Can anyone help with suggestions to get normal sound back.

Cheers

Gongoozler 11:41 04 Jul 2007

Are you able to run the sound through external speakers so you can eliminate the internal ones as possible causes of the problem?

Gadget_man 13:33 04 Jul 2007

Thanks for the reply gongoozler,

I have attached external speakers and they still give out this funny helium sound to the voices.

Gongoozler 14:04 04 Jul 2007

Hi Gadget_man. I don't really know what can be causing this problem, but it has to be either hardware or software. If the problem is hardware there's little you can do about it in a laptop. If it's an error in the sound driver you can try uninstalling the driver by deleting it in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, and then reinstalling it. A quick test I always find useful is to test the various sounds in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Sounds - Program events. Click on any sound with a loudspeaker icon alongside and then test the sound by clicking the right pointing arrowhead alongside the Sounds box.

Gadget_man 14:10 04 Jul 2007

Gongoozler,

The sounds in control panel all play but with this funny helium sound to it. I compared the sound to my desktop.

If I delete the sound driver will i need a disk to reinstall, not sure if I can put my hand to the disks that came with the laptop at the minute, they are here somewhere but if I don't need a disk I will go ahead and try it.

jack 14:22 04 Jul 2007

The sound system I guess will be the common AC97
Look for the bottom task bar icon - blue background with yellow ((.))- This will gave a list of affects for you to manipulate

Gadget_man 14:28 04 Jul 2007

jack,

The Sound effect manager only changes the sound enviroment. When I click on any of the enviroments I just get the Helium voice sound in that particular enviroment.

Gongoozler 14:46 04 Jul 2007

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Gadget_man 14:54 04 Jul 2007

Advent 7088

Gongoozler 15:47 04 Jul 2007

If this is your laptop click here, then these are the drivers click here

Gadget_man 16:11 04 Jul 2007

Thanks all for your help,

I deleted the drivers, rebooted, windows auto picked up drivers and sound is now back to normal.

Problem resolved.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache