Laptop slow down

ziagemini 23:00 17 Jun 2009

I have HP DV 6000 laptop. The configurations are:
Processor= 1.6ghz
Ram= 2000 Mb
Gforce= 128 Mb
Windows= vista

but i am facing slow down problem. My computer takes lots of timeto load things even very light programs like google chrome or WMP. I have instaleed spyware and antivirus to protect my PC but still the performance is very bad. Can anyone help me plz. I am not advanced user.

chub_tor 23:10 17 Jun 2009

You don't say how big your hard drive is but if it is getting full it will slow you down. Run CCleaner click here to get rid of all temp files and clean the registry.

Go to Run or Search and type in msconfig, enter and on the Start Up Tab untick all non essential start up items. If you are unsure what is essential then Google it and find out.

If you can afford it add another 1 or 2 Gb of RAM.

woodchip 23:11 17 Jun 2009

before anything, try this. double click my computer, right click C:\ then click Cleanup

ziagemini 17:16 18 Jun 2009

I have HP DV 6000 laptop. The configurations are:
Processor= 1.6ghz
Ram= 2000 Mb
Gforce= 128 Mb
Hard disk= 250 gb
Windows= vista

but i am facing slow down problem. My computer takes lots of timeto load things even very light programs like google chrome or WMP. I have instaleed spyware and antivirus to protect my PC but still the performance is very bad. i have done disk cleanup also but it did not effect a lot. Can anyone help me plz. I am not advanced user.

chub_tor 18:29 18 Jun 2009

OK you have already said that, have you followed any of the advice that woodchip and I gave you?

ziagemini 21:32 18 Jun 2009

Yes i have run the disk cleanup. And delete all useless things on my hard drive.I also restrict many programs that runs in windows startup. But still i have same problem.

chub_tor 22:16 18 Jun 2009

click here
icrosoft guide to speed up your computer

click here ten more ways to speed up Vista

config_error 08:20 19 Jun 2009

thats a very nice spec mate..however i suspect that this is not a hardware issue.. try to check your computer for trojans,spywar,virus, bots, malwares..
there is a step by step guide from haktech. click here

PcTestCard.com 11:17 19 Jun 2009

From the DOS prompt, run the check HDD command:

"chkdsk c: /r/v" this can help you correct the errors on the HDD.

Hope this helps!
Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?