Laptop slow accessing PC on Voyager network 2091

savo1 22:25 25 Feb 2006

Hi, I have just set up a home network with 1 pc running xp pro, a laptop running xp and a BT Voyager 2091 router. The pc lists the laptop in 'my network places' and can access the laptop fine. The Laptop ony finds the pc in 'view workgroup computers' and when I double click on the pc icon I get the reply "\\kitchenis not accessable you may not have permission to use this network resource...". If on the laptop I click Start, Run and type \\kitchen\\music I can then access the pc'c music folder but its a bit slow. I have enabled file and printer sharing on both computers. I have a hand showing for sharing on all my drives. I am at a total loss. Please help...

Andrew

keewaa 20:11 26 Feb 2006

Have you disabled all software firewalls?

savo1 17:13 27 Feb 2006

Hi, yes I have tried turning off the firewalls on both computers. After many hours trawling through forums etc I have nearly got it sorted. I have written a bat file which I can run on the laptop which then shows the main pc's drives as network drives. if I click start- run- \\suzanne\ on the laptop I get not accessable error but if I type \\suzanne\c I get the c drive.

Here is a copy of the post which sas helped me so far
) Open Notepad.
2) Type the following script (Substitute "computername" and "sharex" with the file server's computername and it's shared folder. You can use any drive letter you wish, as long as it's not already being used):

@echo off

rem ***Script to automate drive mapping.***
rem ***Double-click on this batch script to map drives***
rem ***or place it in the the Start-up menu to automate it during boot***

echo Please wait while shares are located and mapped.
echo ...
echo ..
echo .

net use g: \\computername\share1
net use h: \\computername\share2
net use i: \\computername\share3

echo Done.

rem ***End of Script***

3) Save your work to the desktop with a name such as mapping.txt.
4) Right-click on "mapping.txt" and rename it to "mapping.bat". The icon's appearance should change.
5) Double-click on it to run it, or put it in your Startup folder to automate it during boot.

I am delighted with the results I think I have got just about as close to a network as I going to get...

Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?