Laptop shuts down without warning

Ally 16:08 20 Jun 2005

I have an Avent 7011 laptop running XP. The battery no longer works so I just run from the adapter. If I'm working on something or browsing the web etc there's no problem. However if I have to leave the machine running for say a virus scan or something that requires no keyboard or mouse input, the machine just shuts down without warning. Can anyone tell me why please? There are currently no viruses present that I'm aware of.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:38 20 Jun 2005

goto start>control panel>power options and check out your settings your settings are probable ste to short you can make them longer in there or even turn them off. hope that helps

Ally 20:04 22 Jun 2005

Thanks, but I've already checked the settings and they're OK. Don't really know what to do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 22 Jun 2005

May be heat related when working hard especially this weather.

Make sure there is good air flow under the laptop.

laptop coolers can be purchased or get a few of those coolbox cooler blocks from a supermarket, freeze overnight, place in a plastic bag and sit the laptop on a couple of them to keep it cool.

Ally 20:44 22 Jun 2005

Thank you Mr Bat, This has been happening for some weeks now, but that's something I'd not thought of. Is there a way of telling if the CPU is too hot?

Ally.

woodchip 20:54 22 Jun 2005

Heat Build Up. Can you blow dust from slots with hair drier on cold

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:23 22 Jun 2005

Motherboard Monitor (1,736K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

Ally 20:38 27 Jun 2005

A big thank you to all those who responded to my question. much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017