Laptop shutdown advice needed

redvet 20:44 04 Sep 2008

Just replaced my desktop with a new laptop and installed router to get online but need some advice please.My desktop wtas left on most of the time and I rarely switched off the router,now I am unsure of what to do. I intend switching off the laptop but should I still leave the router powered and connected.
Apologies for this pretty basic question but I prefer to have some advice from more experienced users.

MCE2K5 21:02 04 Sep 2008

At night I switch all my equipment off.

Read this thread "Wireless Router - Leave On Or Shut Down? " click here

iscanut 21:54 04 Sep 2008

I contributed to the thread that MCE2K5 refers to. I have a desktop and laptop using a router. Laptop connects wirelessly, but I always turn router off when neither of the computers are in use. Have never experienced any problems over 4 years re switching router on and off each day. It is a Netgear DG834G model.

redvet 22:10 04 Sep 2008

Thanks.. I also have same router but am using it wired, bit to old to take in the wireless bit I fear. User manual for laptop seems to ignore any reference to wirless enabling, only reference is in the diagram which shows where the on/off wireless switch is. At some point I will get someone to get it going for me. Anyway thanks again I will switch off everything, haved disconnected the router a couple of times already to shift locations with no loss of anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?