Laptop Shocks

Newuser1693 23:13 07 Feb 2006

just got my laptop back from repair. I was getting small electric shocks when putting the laptop down from my lap. The company has told me putting the machine on your lap will cause static transfer.not only giving you a shock but also put the 'notebook'at risk from static damage and that i should never put the machine on my lap? does anyone know if this is correct or are they winding me up

johnnyrocker 23:17 07 Feb 2006

i would think it has some credibility depending on flooring,shoes,and clothing worn and yes static is not good for computers.

johnny.

Newuser1693 23:23 07 Feb 2006

Thanks johnny
Was just under the impression laptops were designed for laps

SANTOS7 23:26 07 Feb 2006

click here
Blimey heres food for thought lads.....

SANTOS7 23:30 07 Feb 2006

click here
sorry guys it gets worse....

Newuser1693 23:32 07 Feb 2006

Very interesting.too late for me to worry about as i've had the snip but will tell my son

SANTOS7 23:34 07 Feb 2006

Me to, AHH the kindest cut of all!!!

Forum Editor 23:35 07 Feb 2006

and of course you're right, laptops are designed to be used on laps, although I never use mine that way - it gets too hot, for one thing.

All computers can be damaged by Electrostatic discharge (ESD) however, and it's a good idea to stop using the machine on your lap if it's happening. You may get away with it on several occasions, but you're gambling with your laptop's life, and it's just not worth the risk.

De Marcus™ 23:39 07 Feb 2006

Whilst notebook static shocks are nothing new they are very annoying and uncomfortable.

Complain, you might be given a new one. Also, whilst the advice to not use a laptop on your 'lap' is good it doesn't make any difference here, laptops are double insulated so it poses no problem in that respect apart from the obvious health risks, which some seem to enjoy ;-)

keewaa 23:56 07 Feb 2006

I've never heard of those symptoms being diagnosed as "laptop burn syndrome" before ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017