Laptop setup

Jadee 00:38 26 Dec 2007

I have setup my router hopefully OK but I cannot put my settings in from my main computer into laptop It is finding the the computer on my conections but won,t let me put settings in Can anybody help me please. I am new to all this

ambra4 03:00 26 Dec 2007

Not to sure what you trying to do what setting you trying to set up on the laptop via the main computer. File sharing, Printer sharing???

Each computer has to be set up separate to access the router and Internet

The main computer via the Lan card and the laptop either via the LAN card or via the wireless network card

Jadee 13:42 26 Dec 2007

The router is connected to the desktop which is running XP Now I am trying to establish a wireless connection to the laptop which is running Vista so I can go on the internet I thought you had to run the set up wizard to get the wep key settings on the laptop but it does'nt come up for me to put them in the laptop

Kemistri 13:53 26 Dec 2007

If Vista is the same as XP in this regard, you need only click on the Wireless LAN icon in the Notification Area (bottom right); browse for your network by its SSID (service set ident); click on it; enter your WPA-PSK twice (you should NOT use WEP); and connect. Job done, and no wizards. If you wish to add this client to the workgroup, add the workgroup name (case sensitive, which is not obvious at first sight) into the relevant pane of My Computer's properties window.

ambra4 14:06 26 Dec 2007

No No

Once you have set up the router wireless with the SSID name the channel # and the WPA-PSK key would suggest you save the information on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Save setting and log out of router

Go to the laptop an connect to the router using the same SSID that you have on the router

The system will request the security or password you copy and paste the information from the flask drive

Once you have enter all the information correct you should be able to access the network and the Internet

Jadee 21:00 30 Dec 2007

I have changed the wep key setting to WPA-PSK it asks for network key where would I find this

ambra4 00:47 31 Dec 2007

Check here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?