Laptop sees wireless router but no Internet

lucyh74 00:05 25 Mar 2008

I hope someone may be able to help me. I have an Asus A6000 laptop with Windows XP Home Edition which is wireless enabled 802.11b/g. Well over a year ago I was with AOL and purchased their recommended wireless router - this never worked wouldn't connect, connected then failed etc.. I then changed to BT and had the same problems. A colleague took my laptop home and managed to connect to his Cable broadband via his Belkin wireless router with no problems.

I have recently switched now to Cable as I had huge connection problems with the BT phone line. I have now purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router. I have installed it onto my Desktop via my Virgin modem no problems and was back on the internet within minutes. I then turned my laptop on to see if it could 'see it' and it didn't. After hours of fiddling with it and my laptop only seeing 2 other wireless networks elsewhere it finally saw the Belkin router. I have no idea what I did to get it to work, but I managed to get onto the internet and thought I'd cracked it. However, after 10 minutes the connection was lost and my laptop kept popping up there was no wireless connection. It wouldn't even find the other 2 it persistently found previously!

I have now spent another entire afternoon on the laptop trying to set it up to work wirelessly. The laptop was configured to use the onboard Asus Wireless setup which I changed to the Windows one. Eventually my laptop now sees the Belkin router, it tells me that the connection is 'excellent' and when I run diagnostics it says there are no problems. However, when I click on Internet Explorer I get an error page. When I click on the help option to see the problem it starts then tells me that Windows is not managing my wireless networks and can't help!

I am at a complete loss now as to why it isn't working. The laptop correctly sees the SSID I have setup on the router, it says it's connected but nil else. The router does not come with any instructions as to how to set up your laptop wirelessly so I'm stumped!!!

Hopefully, somebody can advise me what I need to do to actuall get onto the Internet. Have been trying to do this for last year and a half!

Many thanks!

Kemistri 00:34 25 Mar 2008

Firewall?

ambra4 01:34 25 Mar 2008

Check out these sites on wireless connections

click here

click here

Check out these sites on Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

lucyh74 22:45 25 Mar 2008

Thanks for the links, I've read them all but unfortunately they all tell me to do what I've already done. I have also tried disabling the firewall and that hasn't made any difference either. The frustrating thing is that my laptop is getting a connection via my router it just won't allow me to access the Internet. I figure it must be a configuration issue but I just cannot work out what. Especially as I have ensures the SSID, WEP key etc are the same. I have also gone into my router settings and added the MAC address to allow the laptop to access the internet rather than block it.......

Any other ideas, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you...

shellship 13:03 27 Mar 2008

Do you still have any BT stuff on your machine from your previous installation? If so, great rid of it - it may be wanting to take over.

BurrWalnut 15:16 27 Mar 2008

I haven't read all the links but have you tried uninstalling the adapter in Device Manager?

BurrWalnut 15:17 27 Mar 2008

I haven't read all the links but have you tried uninstalling the adapter in Device Manager, rebooting and let Windows find/install it?

lucyh74 17:04 27 Mar 2008

Thanks for advice... I have uninstalled all the BT stuff off the laptop. I haven't yet tried uninstalling the adapter in the Device manager, however my friend who got it to work on his wireless network has taken it home and will uninstall the Asus software and then just use the Windows one. Will wait and see what happens then....

jen9217 22:31 06 Dec 2008

I'm having the same problem, have you found help with the problem you have with your connection to the internet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?