Laptop sees wireless modem/router but no internet

max10 12:16 26 Mar 2009

I have a 2nd hand toshiba 4090 laptop running Win XP. I wanted to connect it to my wireless modem/router, I bought and installed a netgear WG511 card and it sees the SSID for the network. However I cannot get on the internet when I try Internet explorer. I do get a bollon message stating that there is no certification to log on.
Any ideas.

Strawballs 12:30 26 Mar 2009

If you are using encryption (if not why not) are you entering the encryption key correctly?

max10 12:39 26 Mar 2009

At present the modem/router has the encryption disabled (i know i shouldn't) and I have set the access for any computers on the router, I am wondering if it is a setting on the desktop that could be blocking access?

Strawballs 12:44 26 Mar 2009

There is no way the desktop connected to the router will be affecting the wireless connection.
When you right click on the wireless icon and choose your router it should then connect without problem

max10 23:26 26 Mar 2009

I've tried removing software and hardware and reloading, but still come up with the same problem, the WG511 card is coonected to my network but can get no connection to the internet.
The router manual suggests open access with no security, even then I get no connection to internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone