Laptop Security

johnincrete 16:33 03 May 2010

Having just had a laptop stolen from my car, I was wondering what security measures you would recomend other than not leaving a laptop in the car!
I was wondering if there was any way of password protection that would prevent a boot up even if the disk was changed and/or operating system re-installed. It would not stop it from being stolen but it would make it useless to the thief

For physical protection, some time ago there were devices that stuck to the laptop & connected via a chain to a lock on a desk. Are they still available?

Strawballs 16:37 03 May 2010

You can password protect the bios and make sure it is set up to boot from hard drive first and of course password your logon, so it won't get it back but should stop it being formatted and reinstalled using key on bottom.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 03 May 2010

Yes BIOS password is about all you can do to make the machine useless to someone else

Encrypting the hard drive at least protects your data and personal details.

DieSse 16:50 03 May 2010
  DieSse 17:00 03 May 2010

"Are they still available?"

Yes click here

rawprawn 17:35 03 May 2010

Thanks DieSse, I have downloaded and registered. It may not be a total answer, but certainly worth a throw.

johnincrete 05:05 04 May 2010

Please can someone instruct me in simple terms how to password protect the BIOS.

rawprawn 07:36 04 May 2010

There is not a great deal of point in setting a BIOS password as this is fairly easy to circumvent or reset.
BIOS tends to be different depending on the make of computer, but if you enter SET UP when booting usually by tapping F2 on boot, and look for Boot Options or Security you can set a password there.
Something like this click here

johnincrete 09:01 04 May 2010

It seems crazy that there is no real protection.
But at least I expect to frustrate the type of person who steals a laptop and the type who buys them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone