Laptop security

the old man 13:40 31 Dec 2009

Happy New Year everyone.
Girlfriend has decided she does not want to extend her subscription to Norton 360 so I have deleted it for her. I have now put the following on her laptop as replacements for her. Avira, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Have I got all bases covered with this set of freebies. Obviously not going to be able to replace the system optimisation that was within 360 but I do not see that as a problem.

birdface 13:58 31 Dec 2009

Add WOT which lets you know what websites are bad.
Maybe think about paying for Malwarebytes that way you get full time protection.If not maybe add Superantispyware.

Woolwell 13:59 31 Dec 2009

You appear to be missing a firewall.

the old man 14:34 31 Dec 2009

have Zonealarm

Woolwell 14:40 31 Dec 2009

I have recently put Microsoft Security Essentials on an elderly laptop and am quite pleased with. That plus the free version of Malwarebytes seems to work fine.

Audio~~Chip 14:47 31 Dec 2009

All these programmes why not just simply get a single 1 software package so not to drag the performance down. Sensible non browsing keeping of x sites and Limewire, online bingo you will be fine. Kaspersky Internet security though not the best is more than good enough with sensible searching, it doesn't drag windows down, no stupid regular pop-ups.

Admit ccleaner is a usefull tool though. Just my thoughts.

the old man 15:06 31 Dec 2009

Your thoughts are very much appreciated but as I said earlier she who must be obeyed wants freebies.

oldbeefer2 15:33 31 Dec 2009

I've been running the free Microsoft Security Essentials with the MS firewall for a few months and am happy with that so far.

robin_x 15:44 31 Dec 2009

I don't get on with Kaspersky but many do.

I recommend WOT to (mywot.com , works with IE and Firefox).

Also recommend all the packages mentioned.

Also see "Win Patrol" download from cnet.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?