laptop screen wont come on

theearlofsabden 23:50 04 Nov 2010

Hi

Just downloaded some updates for my trusty XP OS laptop, screen froze during SP3 download now nothing appears on the screen at start up.

I cannot boot in safe mode, F5, F8, Delete key, nothing works. The power just switches off after a few minutes.

Tried the original XP disk, it makes a few sounds, nothing on the screen, then it powers down again.

Any ideas please.

Thanks
Neil.

Taff™ 09:22 05 Nov 2010

Try an external screen. It sounds like either the screen backlight or inverter has packed in. The shutting down is a bit worrying though but lets see what`s happening first if we can.

woodchip 09:30 05 Nov 2010

I would say its a Hard Drive Problem. You could try taking it out, may be under a plate on bottom or edge of Laptop about two screws will hold it. Remove Battery and Power before doing the above, Then without the drive in Try starting Laptop to see if you get anything on screen. If you do, try refitting the Drive after turning all power off again, then try Laptop

PS not forgetting it will not start without power

theearlofsabden 09:58 05 Nov 2010

Hi and thanks

Will try the other screen option Taff when I get home from work.

Tried removing battery & Hard Drive and restarting > nothing on the screen > that didn't work Woodchip.

onthelimit 11:47 05 Nov 2010

The powering down is the worry. Smacks of a failing power module on the motherboard. Hope I'm proved wrong!

woodchip 14:02 05 Nov 2010

As far as I am aware, Laptop Power is all on the outside other than power transfer built into the motherboard track and mechanical switches

there is PSU etc in a Laptop

theearlofsabden 14:04 05 Nov 2010

is there not a battery (watch type) in a laptop - could this be the issue?

theearlofsabden 18:08 05 Nov 2010

Replaced HD = no effect, no screen and powers down after a few minutes.

Removed HD and Battery, powered on mains = no effect, no screen and powers down after a few minutes.

Switched to external monitor = no effect, nothing on main PC monitor and powers down after a few minutes.

Any ideas please?

woodchip 18:21 05 Nov 2010

Powering Down may be down to overheating CPU to save damage. The Heat Exchanger needs cleaning. If you use the Laptop on Carpets or beds or both that's the problem it will be full of fluff round the heat-exchanger just like felt blocking the air supply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?