laptop screen repair - is it worth it?

donnarhi 18:33 06 Sep 2009

hi. i have stupidly picked up my Sony Vaio laptop (PCG-6H1M) by the screen and it now has a large 3inch black permanent mark and a line running down the middle of the whole screen. it was bought 3 years ago. do i take it to PC world for a repair or try to get my home insurance to pay for another laptop? please give me some advice? thanks

Giggle n' Bits 19:16 06 Sep 2009

add about £200 for the screen not inc labour. Same happend to me. Forget PC World, they havent a clue.

Insurance is best but if you have Documents on it then I would get a local computer engineer out of the paper or phone book to recover your documents.

donnarhi 19:24 06 Sep 2009

thanks for your reply - i think we have the documents so i will need a computer store to give me info on it's repair cost so i can request money for a new computer.i hope that will be enough. thanks again. donna

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:41 06 Sep 2009

A sony screen £168 from ebay sony quote £200 + £100 to fit.

Its probably a generic 30pin 13.3 screen made by Samsung or LG take the plastics off and drop of the lid to see what make and model it is screens can be bought for under £100 usually and are not hard to fit

How to do it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?