LAPTOP SCREEN FAILURE

MARKKBOY 15:18 20 Jan 2008

My Dell laptop screen has suddenly gone to a half black half white screen and appears to have a liquid oozing around inside ? I can not log onto windows so i am unable to do a data transfer onto my new laptop,can anyone suggest how to retrieve my data from my old laptop onto my new one.Thanks in advance
mark

rossgolf 15:22 20 Jan 2008

take it to a shop and they will be able to take out the hdd and plug it into another computer and retreive your data

wee eddie 16:01 20 Jan 2008

Get an "Enclosure". Take the HDD out of your old Lappy and put it into the Enclosure. A fairly simple screwdriver job.

You now have an External Hard Drive that has all your files on it. Transfer the Files to the new Lappy. Delete everything from the old/external Drive, Re-Format it and you can now use it for Back-ups, or storing large files such as movies or music.

tullie 18:54 20 Jan 2008

As Wee Eddie says,no need to pay to do this.

MARKKBOY 01:44 22 Jan 2008

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies much appreciated
mark

Longhouse 19:46 22 Jan 2008

Does the laptop have a port for external monitor? If so, you may be able to hook up to an external monitor (borrowed or off desktop if one available?) and access laptop that way. If I recall, you may have to switch between internal & external displays by toggling one of the F keys.
Once in, files could be seletcted and transfered by pen drive, CD-R, etc as normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?