laptop screen is dark

anglefish 09:03 26 Sep 2008

Please help me - I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 and on starting her up last night the screen very quickly flicks up Dell and then goes really dark. It sseems to be working OK but can't really see the icons to get into them. I can't see any controls on the laptop that may have darkened the screen and I can't seem to get the thing apart to see if something has come apart. Desperate to sort out today as I run my B&B bookings on it. Ugh..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:15 26 Sep 2008

If screen lights to start with (Dell logo) then sounds like there is not a hardware fault such as backlights or invertor.

It may well be that you have the screen presntation set to exterior screen.

Try pressing Fn and the F key with the picture of a screen (square) in blue., on mine its Fn + F7 to change to exterior screen othe machines use Fn+F4.

anglefish 09:53 26 Sep 2008

Can't see a F key with a blue screen. There is a black normal key with one. Have tried all of the blue F keys with the Fn keys and but nothing happens. Any other ideas? When the Dell logo does flick up it disappears immediately too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:07 26 Sep 2008

try booting in safe mode

keep tapping F8 when first switching on.

then if you get it to boot into safe mode uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?